Department: Research & Development
Reports To: Research and Development Manager
The Research and Development Product Developer creates and develops new products and product lines incorporating existing and new ingredients, processes, and technologies. This individual is responsible for recipe, formula management and development and ensuring that all new materials comply with applicable legislation and are seamlessly incorporated into existing systems and programs.
- Executes product development projects from initial concept to commercial launch in a dynamic high-paced environment.
- Work closely with the team to develop and test new and existing ingredients, develop and finalize recipes and pass the sensory approval process.
- Has a deep understanding of current and future food and industry trends and applies this knowledge in the development and planning process.
- Conduct required bench top and/or pilot plant experiments in the development of new products and/or product renovations and/or new processes for the experimental plan, conduct experiments and produce documentation.
- Lead pilot and plant trials. Prepare samples for customers and internal presentation. Coordinate distribution of samples.
- Utilize programs (Genesis, Excel) along with internal tools to generate nutritional and costing information.
- Develop product specifications, standard operating procedures, and product formulation.
- Work with Purchasing and suppliers to source and test ingredients. Source alternate suppliers of existing raw materials. Conduct research and testing of new ingredients and processing techniques.
- Participate in the sensory evaluation of new, existing and competitor products.
- Participates in cross functional teams responsible for projects.
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge.
- Able to clearly communicate technical information with all levels of the organization.
- Provides manufacturing support by troubleshooting technical issues.
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
- Complies with all plant safety and food safety/GMP rules.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in food science and technology or a related field.
- A minimum of 2 years in product development or related field.
- Ice cream or dairy experience an asset.
- High level of understanding of ingredients and formula portfolios.
- Analytical ability; methodical/critical thinker and problem solver; attention to detail.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple projects effectively and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and relationship management.
- Leadership skill to ensure cross functional team alignments and timely delivery on related tasks and trainings.
- Require basic knowledge of applicable government regulations, GMPs and allergens.
- Valid driver’s license and a car available.
Required work in office, plant, pilot plant environments locally and at vendor or customer facilities as required. On call availability 24/7 if and as required by operations. Occasional travel is required.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Opportunity to grow with the company
- Excellent benefit package
- Generous performance-based bonuses
- Excellent pension package
- Active social committee
- Employee assistance program
- Group home and auto insurance
- Uniforms and boots are provided
- Subsidized lunches at our onsite Cafeteria
- Work in the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility
- FREE ICE CREAM!!
- We enjoy what we do and we do it best!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time and as needed.Apply Now