Reports To: Vice President of Operations
The Director of Procurement is responsible for tactical procurement of commodities, supplies, and services to be used by the organization, in relation to Production, and as directed by the VP of Operations. This person has corporate responsibilities and coordinates directly with Production, Warehouse, Transportation, and Management in order to maintain the appropriate level of inventory. He or she will use their expert knowledge to purchase goods and services that meet quality requirements and specifications at the most favourable delivered price for the Company, while building and maintaining strategic relationships with key suppliers.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Provide purchasing leadership and direction for the Purchasing department.
- Negotiate contracts. Identify vendors and review contracts.
- Conduct monthly reviews with major vendors, plant schedulers and sales.
- Solicit and promote cost reduction proposals from vendors; seek senior management’s approval to with R&D and plant, allocating proper time to evaluate, cooperate with vendor and implement the initiatives.
- Encourage and organize suppliers’ presentations to marketing (management) and R&D for new products / ingredients or packaging concepts and innovations.
- Active participation in new product development with R&D and Operations.
- Manage all project-related initiatives.
- Monitor and understand commodities management.
- Conduct periodic vendor performance reviews.
- Participate in twice-daily production scheduling meetings.
- Analyze inventory and economic order quantity needs and maintain appropriate levels, ensuring management is aware of deficiencies or concerns on a daily basis.
- Provide product, storage, and order information on a daily basis.
- Support the QA department with quality concerns related to product or packaging.
- Backup to Material Planners and backs up Director, Strategic Planning and Implementation in regard to HACCP duties and responsibilities.
- Formal Education – University Degree or diploma (CPP or CPM) in a related field and 10+ years of relevant experience, with at least 5+ in a supervisory role.
- Knowledge and Experience – Direct experience in the food industry preferred, comprehensive experience in vendor agreements. Strong leadership and analytical skills. Solid purchasing principles. Demand planning, MRP, batch runs.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive wages
- Opportunity to grow with the company
- Excellent benefit package
- Generous performance-based bonuses
- Excellent pension package
- Active social committee
- Employee assistance program
- Group home and auto insurance
- Uniforms and boots are provided
- Work in the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility
- Job stability (no layoffs)
- Subsidized lunches at our onsite Cafeteria
- FREE ICE CREAM!!
We enjoy what we do and we do it best.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time and as needed.
No telephone inquiries, please.
Learn more about Chapman’s Ice Cream here and the way we make our ice cream. Check out Chapman’s Facility Measures In Response To COVID-19.Apply Now
Get your $4 coupon here!
To request a coupon by mail, please click here to complete the form!